They say marriages are made in heaven, but it is on Earth that we need to make our after-marriage work. Those flattering initial days and anticipation everyone experiences at the beginning of a matrimony are a bliss, but the honeymoon period has a shelf life. And it becomes important that you spend the rest of your days being happy in the marriage.
We know every marriage has its ups and downs, but you need to know how to weather the storm and keep that romance and happiness in your marriage going. If you are looking for some inspiration to make your marriage work, here are 5 things that you must avoid:
- Being Overly Independent: If you have been alone for a long time, it becomes difficult to adjust in a marriage and be dependent on someone. In such cases, you might want to do things on your own terms and not seek your partner’s support or consent. Well, being independent is great, but it becomes troublesome in a marriage when you want to have your own way. Having that attitude where you feel you don’t need any support might annoy your spouse. He/she might feel hurt and disrespected. Avoid this and seek each other’s support in every situation.
- Being Chronically Angry: Anger breeds negative behaviour, including violence that can impact your relationship badly – it can even break the marriage. The unhealthy attributes of anger like blaming your spouse for your actions, being impatient and showing withdrawal symptoms may end your marriage, and therefore this anger needs to be eradicated. If you need help with it, you can always ask your spouse, your family or seek professional guidance.
- Being Financially Irresponsible: Money is one of the major reasons that lead to divorce in our country. If you feel that money is creating an issue in your marriage, you two must discuss the problem and seek ways to cut down on your expenses. Money matters need to be tackled early before it gets difficult for both of you to handle.
- Stopping to Communicate: Communication is the key to a happy marriage and whatever the situation, you must never stop talking to each other. Most of you don’t communicate because of your insecurities, or because you carry some baggage in to the relationship, but you could act on this immediately. In fact, you need to speak more often and listen with kindness to nurture your relationship.
- Cheating: Breaking your partner’s trust harms a marriage like none other. You both must try to be honest with each other about your problems, your wants and your desires from the matrimony. Work on those issues and help strengthen your marriage before it gets to a point where it is too late to act.
As we said earlier, marriage isn’t easy! To make it sing, you need a lot of practice and work. There may be many detours that can make your matrimony fail, but if problems are spotted and nipped early on, you can avoid many unwanted situations and have a happy married life.